You know those stories of mothers who react in a split second & save their children? They throw themselves in front of vehicles & lift cars with their love. They risk life & limb. Well, I'm writing this while sitting in pain on my couch because I did the same thing. I was walking out of the mall today & slipped on ice. As I flew towards the ground, I twisted my body in a gesture of protection, & I'm paying the price tonight. Thing is, my kids weren't with me. I nearly broke myself to keep from dropping my coffee.
Coffee & I have been together for over 20 years. I'm not going anywhere, coffee. Sure, we "took a break" when I was in my first trimester with the kids, but as soon as the second rolled around, we got back together-- mostly half-caf & decaf, but we were together. Now, we're together twice a day, more if I really need you (you know, when I'm cold, or tired, or bored... you fill all my needs).
So as we head into the season of love, here's my list of reasons why coffee is my Valentine (don't tell my husband):
1. You are there for me when I'm at my most needy & unpleasant
2. You change yourself to make me happy (I can add cream, caramel, sugar, flavor shots...Baileys... you'll be whatever I want you to be)
3. You are my security blanket. This is big. When I'm going to a social situation that I'm not totally comfortable, I always stop & get a coffee first. It makes me feel safe & gives me something to keep me looking busy.
4. You & I have shared many, many, many happy moments with friends & family together. My people don't break bread, they drink coffee.
5. You make sure I'm awake every day. That's also big.
So, coffee, this Valentine's Day, I hope you know how loved you are. My life wouldn't be the same without you. So yes, I will crash my elbow into the ground to keep you safe. You do for me so I'll do for you. That's what love is all about.
I'm an English teacher, a wife, a dog lover, a bibliophile, & a wanna-be fashionable mom. Well, I'm already a mom. Just trying to get the "fashionable" part going...